Saturday, February 12, 2011

Holly Leaf Sun Star

The first shoots of spring are poking through the soft earth and the sun is beginning to strengthen and the days starting to lengthen.

There really isn't a more special time of year, the air is different, the light is different, the feeling inside is different. I feel it in the pit of my stomach, like a tickle that brings a smile.

Despite our modern trappings, we are natural creatures at the mercy of natural cycles. You can hide from them behind dark glasses but the spring light will find its way around the sides of the frames. You can't ignore it, your insides want to do a jig. Unless it's raining of course, then you'll think "bloody winter, when is spring coming?!"

Well, here's my contribution for those with a sunny disposition and those without. A holly leaf sun clock, forever ticking as the cusp of a season is reached. As the globe tilts once again and our corner of the planet is bathed in lengthening light, the sun will awaken the earth and the waiting seeds within.

Well that's all very lyrical and all that, innit. But what of really clever and deep artistic things.

Art attempts to peel back the layers and reveal something unseen. I and a myriad of other artists are trying to uncover and answer all the important questions facing mankind:-

- Why will you spend ten minutes looking for the TV remote when it'll take you 10 seconds to get off your sorry arse and switch it over the old way?

- Why when someone says "say when" do we say 'when'?

- Why are lost things always in the last place you look?

- Why when the hoover won't suck something up do you pick it up and look at it, put it back on the floor and insist that it really does suck it up by running over it again and again?

- Why do we say things like "cor, the sun's really bright"?

- Why do all phone numbers in films start with 555?

I'll admit I am exhausted thinking about all these profundities. It's not all pretty leaves, sunshine and spring lambs in fields you know. It's bloody hard work and I am going stand here with my arms folded until you bloomin' well appreciate the hassles I have to go through.

Wibbly, wobbly, wibbly, wobbly (bear with me, that's a flashback TV effect, I'll have you know).

I went again to the David Nash exhibition, at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, this week. And inspiring is not the word. Such evident skill and life in his sculptures, I was absolutely enthralled. I feel like branching out into living sculptures. Watch this space.

I pondered on making something at the Sculpture Park, but didn't take anything with me so that I could. When we arrived at the car park I kicked myself, as the most amazing yellow and orange dogwood was growing between all the rows. The colours were so vibrant and strong that I immediately wanted to make something but couldn't. After re-experiencing the Underground Gallery and the texture and smell of the wood, the incredible sculpting skills of Mr Nash and a pounding heart and mind we stepped out into the fresh air to be greeted by warming sunshine. In front of us was a Holly tree, which for some reason was almost entirely yellow and pale green. With the sun shining through it, it was quite a sight and not one I had seen before. I just had to collect some of its leaves, to take home to use later.

On the day after that visit and a long day at work, I quickly made a circle from Dogwood, as mess about doodle and assembled twelve leaves onto its circumference, one for each hour of half a day. The sun was needed to finish it off so I waited until today to find it.

This wasn't the main thing I made today but as I needed to wait for the sun to make an appearance I took it along with me to photograph it. Sounds like an easy job but the clouds were not playing ball. The sun would only come out for two minutes, not long enough to set it up, point the camera in the right place and get a photo. Fortunately with more daylight to play with I had longer to get it in the can.

I am waiting to show you what else I made today, as I have left it at a popular beauty spot near Lancaster. It is easily visible from the road so I'll be interested to see if anyone chances upon it. That said, it being a beauty spot, it is also popular with people who like to leave drinks cans, smash bottles and create fires. So when I do go back there, myself, I expect it to have "Barry woz 'ere" scrawled across it or for it to wear a take away pizza box as a hat. After all, everyone's a critic.

1 comment:

ArtPropelled said...

Beautiful setting for your holly leaf sun star. I'm really envious that you get to see the David Nash exhibition so often but also grateful that you shared your photos on Flickr. Thanks Richard.