Saturday, March 03, 2007

Cone Circle


Circle, originally uploaded by escher1.

We had collected different cones and seeds around where we live and needed to make something from them. When we were walking near Birk Bank we found a really interesting wood with gritstone slabs and trees and made a beeline for it. Eventually I decided to start on this design not really knowing what I was going to do. It took ages to stop the cones rolling (the slab was sloping) and I had to use a lot of wet earth underneath to hold everything in place. It took a lot of work and was quite fiddly and had a lot of repeating patterns yet despite the effort I put in it just doesn't look right. It looks like a christmas wreath! It just doesn't have that "cool" land art quality but as a first attempt at something more convoluted it showed me that it is worth spending more time formulating ideas and preparing what I want to do.

No comments: