Saturday, February 21, 2009

Beacon Fell Acorn Cairn


Beacon Fell Acorn Cairn, originally uploaded by escher1.

Good news. I have recently arranged a long term residency at Beacon Fell Country Park. I have been given free reign to build whatever I like within it's boundaries. I built this cairn a few weeks ago. It took 2 days to complete. I don't know if it is still there or whether it has toppled (with or without some extra help).

This cairn was quite difficult to construct as flat stones were hard to come by. Two sections needed fixing when the cairn was nearly finished and I learnt a lot of lessons (again) on how careful you have to be when building something like this. Constantly I had the mantra "whatever you build now wil have the weight of the rest of it on top so build it true!" going round my head like a stuck record.

I am looking forward to making more sculptures at Beacon Fell throughout this year.

No comments: