Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No More Land Art on Clougha


No More Land Art on Clougha, originally uploaded by escher1.

I have been instructed to dismantle the sculptures I have made on Clougha and to not create any more artworks anywhere on the Abbeystead Estate. Which pretty much rules out the whole of inland Northern Lancashire! It's a real shame but it is their land and they can do what they like with it. Thanks for everyone's interest in my sculptures, it has been a very rewarding experience for me but all good things come to an end. There'll be no more artwork from me in the Forest of Bowland and I think I will have to rethink my whole approach to what I love to do. I will probably stop publishing what I have done and where I have done it.

Unfortunately it is not required of land owners in England to have to publish what land belongs to whom, unlike in Scotland. This makes it very difficult, if not impossible when an estate is so large, to work out who the land owner is. As such it is quite a task to seek permission for the creation of ephemeral sculptures in natural locations. So what to do? I don't know.

Farewell Clougha it has been fun while it lasted! :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't discover your work until today on Flickr. I am very sorry to hear that it will not be allowed to continue in Bowland. I hope you find alternative venues.