Saturday, April 07, 2007

Spiral


Spiral, originally uploaded by escher1.

This was another sculpture that I have wanted to do for a while. It is based on the sculpture on the front of Andy Goldsworthy's self titled book. Most of these were slate and split quite easily when tapped with a big stone, but many I hit too hard and they disintegrated so I collected many more stones than ended up in the final result. I was very pleased with the result. It gave me a real sense of the time, effort and artistic flair that Goldsworthy so obviously has. When I looked at his original again afterwards I could understand more the quality of his work (compared to mine - his crack between the stones looks continuous - quite stunning) and the hard work that it takes. Many of his works still look impossible to me though!

No comments: