Monday, March 09, 2009

More exciting news


River Stone Fold, Deadman Gill, originally uploaded by escher1.

Last November I took a tour around some of Andy Goldsworthy's Sheepfolds Project installations dotted around Cumbria and its neighbouring counties. As well as taking pictures I also shot some video. This is the River Stone Fold near Middleton-in-Teasdale in Northumberland.

Today I had a very fruitful meeting with the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and the Director of Facilities at Lancaster University. Talk about good timing. After getting barred from the Abbeystead Estate someone very kindly put me in contact with the University and I sent them an email to see if they would be interested in anything that I do. I was hoping that they would simply be willing for me to make some ephemeral scupltures on the University campus. Well it seems they want a great deal more than that. They are currently a fair way through a long-term, extensive building project and the next stage is to make the whole campus into somewhere where the public and students alike will want to explore and enjoy the space within its boundaries. To this end they want to invite artists to come and create whatever they want right across their land. They have been mulling over these ideas for a few years and only recently they have employed people to organise these new projects. My email appeared in their inboxes just as they wanted to start something, I could not have timed it better. The phrase they kept banding about was "we are an open book" and they want me to put together some proposals. I am very excited about this and it seems there are so many opportunities that are presenting themselves to me now. I feel that I can get whatever I want out of this, it all hinges on how much I want to put in. And right now I feel very inspired and want to put my all in. I just wish I could give up my office job! Long hours at my desk mean my daydreams are full of the prospect of following a fulfilling, creative career (or winning the lottery). I have high hopes that with small beginnings I may get the opportunity to live that dream one day.

7 comments:

EmandaJ said...

Wonderful News!! I'm so pleased for you, Richard. I hope this won't price you out of my textbook.

Emanda

Morag "Errant" Hickman said...

Congratulations, I hope it all comes through for you!

BACEBO said...

I am so glad Richard. I knew the ban at Clougha will make way to more awareness of people who appreciate creativeness. Can't wait to see you work.

Sarah said...

What a great oppourtunity, how exciting

Richard Shilling said...

Thanks everyone. I went for stroll around the campus this afternoon after work, there are some great locations and I have got so many ideas for them. Lets hope they like them.

Amazed to see 3 deer 20 yards away from the student accomodation there today, standing in a small coppice, the M6 (6 lane highway) 20 yards behind them and a busy thoroughfare right in front. THey must be quite happy in there.

ArtPropelled said...

Richard, this is such exciting news, I'm whooping :-) You really deserve this opportunity. The first thing that came to mind was....wish he could give up the day job! It's certainly getting closer to that though.

The Sheepfold project reminds me so much of the Newgrange passage mound in Ireland...but then I'm sure that's where Goldsworthy got his inspiration.

Richard Shilling said...

Thanks Robyn. I feel I need to pinch myself at the moment as opportunities just seem to be appearing out of nowhere, and I don't know why. It is very exciting though.