Saturday, May 02, 2009

3 Leaf Colour Flags


3 Leaf Colour Flags, originally uploaded by e s c h e r.

I had some left over leaves from this morning and I didn't want to waste them. The red is copper beech leaves (I am quite amazed how very red they look), the middle flag has two pink maple leaves in it and the yellow flag is dying rhododendron leaves.

It was windy so I wanted to make something more robust this time. I constructed the frames from hazel and peeled off the bark. I split them so that the leaves would be held inside then I pinned them together with thorns.

What I didn't consider was how they would twist when I pushed both ends together in the ground. As I did so each frame came apart and the leaves came out from being held between the split stick. Doh! So as usual I had to do much fiddling about to get the leaves straight.

As I was setting it up an American lady came over and said "can I ask what you are doing?" We told her about land art and she said "how is it held together - do you use white glue?" I explained that I use only natural materials. I pointed her to the position where the sun was shining through and she happily snapped away with her camera. I hope she got some good pictures!

I don't know how long this will last but I left it in situ next to the mosaic dinosaur/dragon thing at the bottom entrance to Williamson Park.

No comments: