Sunday, April 05, 2009

Dandelion and Hazel Spheres


Dandelion and Hazel Spheres, originally uploaded by e s c h e r.

This is what I wanted to make yesterday but the cold-shy dandelions meant it wasn't possible.

Still, I have learnt a lot about dandelions this week. I saw one appear last week but I couldn't find any others. When I was driving home one afternoon a few days ago suddenly there were hundreds that had flowered in unison. Especially by the road outside the university. However at work the next day (40 odd miles away) there were very few. But then the day after that they sprouted altogether there too. It seems that their flowering is daylight or temperature related and when they do flower they seem to do so all at the same time, at least they do in the same area.

I knew that they closed up at night but I also learnt that if it is cold and windy they stay closed up, as they did yesterday. I think it needs to be at least 12 degrees C for them to open.

Spring is finally here (I am sure it will take a break over Easter - always does!), and it gladdens the heart to say so.

No comments: