Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sycamore Sun Square


Sycamore Sun Square, originally uploaded by e s c h e r.

Once again I had no idea what to make so I went for an early stroll around the park and the cemetry to see what was growing. I was starting to feel that no inspiration would come and I would have to go home with my tail between my legs. I haven't failed to build anything for ages. Then I found a coppiced syacmore tree (maybe more than one in a cluster) with wonderful large leaves - each one perfect. I liked the sycamore circles I had done previously and wanted to do something that showed off the structure of the leaves.

Sycamore leaves have a near right angled vein structure. Some have obtuse some acute angles and then there are the ones with a near perfect 90 degree angle. What else to make but a square?

For good bokeh you need to be able to get below the sculpture ideally with a dark background. This presented a problem. The wind was strengthening and as I carried it around looking for a suitable spot the wind was starting to shred the leaves. There was no way I was going to be able to put it up somewhere high as would only last seconds, instead I found a semi-sheltered spot behind some gorse bushes. I pinned diagonal struts across the square to strengthen it and hoped that it would survive long enough for a photo. It seemed ok and when I left it there it was still intact.

This was going to make the photography much more difficult. So after grovelling around in the sheep poo and gorse thorns this is what I came away with.

My Land Art images are now available on RedBubble. If there are any specific images you are interested in then please let me know.

No comments: