Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pebble Square Diptych - one week elapsed


Pebble Square Diptych, originally uploaded by e s c h e r.

This was created for the Land Art Connections Project on Flickr. This months theme being Time.

I created this about a month ago. The top picture was from that day, I built it on the platform so that it would be set against the shallow water of the river.

A week later I went back along to that section of the River Lune to see if it was still there. Whilst I was walking along the bank approaching the place I was disappointed to see it had gone. "Someone must have kicked it over" I thought.

A little way along my partner had made another sculpture, a line of stones along the waters edge. As I approached I realised that the river level had dropped considerably. The line of pebbles was now beached feet away from the water.

I realised then that my pebble square sculpture might indeed still be there as I was looking for something in the water when I was searching.

Lo and behold as I went over to the spot there it was camouflaged amongst the shingle. I was very surprised to see it there! Whilst it was very obvious when on the water it wasn't until I was right upon it that I could see it.

It hadn't rained at all in the intervening week so I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise to discover the level had dropped. I try to reveal aspects of nature and its cycles with my art and returning a week later had shown me a little about the behaviour of the river.

Also you may notice that in the original picture the orange/brown stones in the top right hand corner are darker than orange ones in the bottom row. At the time I though they were different types of sandstone but once the pebbles had dried it became clear that they were the same but one set was wetter than the other.

No comments: