Friday, April 24, 2009

Tornado Cairn


Tornado Cairn, originally uploaded by e s c h e r.

I went back for another attempt at building the diamond cairn. This was about the fourth try, it was quite windy and the previous ones all collapsed when only half built.

The reason I've given it the name "tornado" (other than being pretentious) is because I think it looks like a spinning top or gyroscope. The slight tilt it has, to me anyway, makes it look like it is spinning.

Despite the strong breeze this one remained upright and still was as I walked back.

While I was building it it moved quite a lot but I think this helped. When all the movement is one way it doesn't take much for it to reach it's tipping point and then it is over. With this one it seemed to move over the central balance point but not just one direction, it moved backwards and forwards. I think this might have been important for it to dissapate the force of the breeze and remain upright. Either that or I was just lucky.

It will be cool if it survives until tomorrow.

Another reminder that my Land Art images are now available on RedBubble. If there are any specific images you are interested in then please let me know.

1 comment:

Anita Thomhave Simonsen said...

this is very beautiful and interesting....nice way of exploring things about the way it is able to stand and meet the winds movements...like your interests in landart and appreciate your inspiration from Goldsworthy.....