Sunday, April 19, 2009

Laurel Arch


Laurel Arch, originally uploaded by e s c h e r.

After I had made and photographed the leaf sculpture there was plenty of time to try something else. I had collected a few different materials but I had only used a few of them.

When I was at primary school aged 5 or 6 we had a horse chestnut tree overhanging the playground. It would drop leaves and conkers and keep us all amused.

One thing we did with leaves was to curl them over and stick the stalk through to make a tube.

I am not a very knowledgeable gardener so I am guessing when I say this is a laurel. But I did the same with these leaves and created an arch, then made a curtain from the flowers that came with it.

Normally I wouldn't pick flowers or new leaves from a plant. However I am selective with the leaves I take. I try to find a vigourous plant with lots of leaves and select only a few. That way I have no adverse affect on it and I can go and make something without worrying if I am doing things I shouldn't.

No comments: